Sydenham Bruce Trail Club
About the Sydenham Club
The Sydenham Bruce Trail Club (SBTC) was formed in July 1962. Our volunteers have been working for over 50 years to preserve and protect the Niagara Escarpment, and provide public access via the Bruce Trail to this magnificent corridor of nature.
The Bruce Trail, Canada's oldest and longest footpath, provides the only continuous public access to the magnificent Niagara Escarpment, a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve. It is one of only eighteen such reserves in all of Canada. The Sydenham section of the Bruce Trail is managed by the SBTC.
Members of the SBTC volunteer their time to build and maintain the Bruce Trail along an established optimum route from Blantyre to Wiarton, Ontario, Canada. The main trail in the Sydenham section is 170 km long with numerous side trails that provide access to the main trail or, in some cases, link to the main trail allowing for loop walks. The work involves such activities as:
- acquiring landowner permission
- building the footpath
- erecting structures such as foot bridges and signs
- regular trail maintenance
- stewarding the land we have secured
SBTC members do not always work alone. For major projects some community groups assist. The SBTC is one of nine clubs that are governed by the Bruce Trail Conservancy (BTC). The SBTC is governed by an elected executive.
For further Sydenham Bruce Trail Club information - please contact us.
Join the Club!
The Bruce Trail Conservancy is an organization founded, built and supported by volunteers, donors, and members. Your membership in the Conservancy will help the Sydenham Bruce Trail Club continue in its efforts to preserve and protect the natural heritage of the Niagara Escarpment. The Bruce Trail provides an important link to over 100 parks and conservation areas along the Niagara Escarpment corridor and the Conservancy works to maintain the Trail throughout southern Ontario.
Your membership means that you are participating in securing the continued existence of the Bruce Trail. You'll have the opportunity to meet new people and get involved in our hikes, social gatherings, workshops and weekend outings. You also receive:
- Bruce Trail Magazine; the official magazine of the Bruce Trail Conservancy
- The Sydenham Hiker; a newsletter published quarterly featuring information on SBTC achievements and upcoming hikes and events.
- Discounts on products from the BTC Store and at various sports and hiking stores.
To join the Sydenham Bruce Trail Club (SBTC) you must join the Bruce Trail Conservancy:
- Visit the BTC Membership web page: http://brucetrail.org/pages/get-involved/membership
- When completing the membership application select 'Sydenham' as your primary club.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the SBTC offer Trail Angels?
- No, unfortunately the club is not able to offer Trail Angels at this time.
- I've completed one of the hiking challenges and would like to obtain the badge for this challenge, what do I need to do?
- Please see our SBTC badges page for more information.
- I'm looking for others to hike the Sydenham section with, can you please provide suggestions?
- Please see our Group Hikes schedule for more information.
- What are trail conditions currently like in the Sydenham section?
- Try posting your question on the SBTC Facebook page - some other hikers may be able to help you out!
The Sydenham Bruce Trail Club
Box 431, Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada